21 November 2006

Classical Jokes, no. 694

I suppose you know the real reason Hannibal took the elephants with him over the Alps? It was a long march from Spain to Italy, and of course he had huge logistics and supply problems. Elephants can carry an enormous amount on their backs, which meant that he didn't have to worry so much about maintaining a long and vulnerable supply line while in enemy territory. So his overall objective was - to maintain the elephant of supplies.

Yes, again, that's one of Doc Martin's. But I'm proliferating it, so I guess I'm just as bad. And when I tell it, I drag it out rather more, and refer to Livy, Polybius, and incidents with ravines and Alpine tribes. I like to have Hannibal losing the elephant of supplies. Hey, it could be worse. I could be telling you about Tom's limericks.

Actually, that's an idea...

In other news, and before I resume my duties, I can't believe it took me two months to notice that the BBC article headed Beauty of Swedish model disputed was about politics rather than a contentious heir to the throne of - say - Britt Ekland or Izabella Scorupco. But then, I've been busy.

No comments: