11 April 2008

What Lies Beneath

I was highly amused earlier on by this fine attempt at casting the principal characters from Peanuts in Watchmen. In gratitude to the person who sent me that I pointed him over to this sinister rendering of Charlie Brown's skeletal structure.

You could do worse than work your way through the whole of Michael Paulus's disturbing attempt at revealing the skeletons of the rest of the Peanuts gang, Betty Boop, Fred Flintstone, the Powerpuff girls, and others:
Animation was the format of choice for children's television in the 1960s, a decade in which children's programming became almost entirely animated. Growing up in that period, I tended to take for granted the distortions and strange bodies of these entities.

These Icons are usually grotesquely distorted from the human form from which they derive. Being that they are so commonplace and accepted as existing I thought I would dissect them like science does to all living objects - trying to come to an understanding as to their origins and true physiological make up. Possibly to better understand them and see them in a new light for what they are in the most basic of terms.

I decided to take a select few of these popular characters and render their skeletal systems as I imagine they might resemble if one truly had eye sockets half the size of its head, or fingerless-hands, or feet comprising 60% of its body mass.
Disturbing, eh? The one of the Shmoo troubles me perhaps more than any other, because I'm pretty sure the Shmoo shouldn't have a skeleton. And of course, if those were too grotesque for you, then you probably don't even want to think about what balloon animals must look like on the inside.

Sorry about that. If you can stomach it, there's more where that came from, thanks to Jason Freeny.

No comments: