29 September 2007

Honour is like the hawk: Sometimes it must go hooded.

Yes, I'm back, though this time I'm wearing a disguise. It makes sense, after all, especially on this most cloak-and-dagger of days.

Why blog again?

Well, I'd never wanted to stop with my old blog, in which I'd invested far too much of myself over the years, but having my erstwhile boss spend hours on it day in day out in a desperate and deranged quest for dirt to damage me with rather removed its charm. Not that that would have made me stop, especially since there was nothing there I wouldn't have happily seen published in a more traditional medium, but it did rather take the fun out of things. So I struggled on without enthusiasm, until Spring, when I decided that having so many of my thoughts available to the world at last probably wouldn't help me when I left my academic cage in search of gainful employment.

So I entered some code so that it would slip under the radar of pretty much every search engine, and I had it wiped from the caches of Google and Yahoo, and then, eventually, I made it invitation only. But with only four or five readers a day, well, it just hasn't seemed worth the effort, and has been dying a slow death over the last few months.

And that may be for the best.



I've been missing blogging, for all sorts of reasons, and I've been thinking a while of stepping back into the waters. Hence this. Look, I know I'm not fooling anyone. The Thirsty Gargoyle is a fairly transparent bit of wordplay, after all, and if you know who I am to start with then the whole disguise is kind of redundant.

But even so. My name will not be here, and I'll be doing my damnedest to blur a few other issues.

I'm going to try to post every day, but whether I do or not, I'll have one simple rule.

It's a wordlimit. 500 a day. That's the deal. If I go over it, I'm not going to waste time editing it down to 500, but I'm going to pretty much make sure 500 is my limit. That way I can happily babble online, but not waste any time in doing so. 500 is nothing, after all.

In case you're wondering, by the way, this post's title is from Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons' magnificent Watchmen. It's a book I've been thinking of a lot lately, especially in terms of its Juvenalian tagline, and that fine Nietzschean quote at the end of chapter six:
Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster,
and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
There are times when I worry. Like tonight. The term 'sting' has been used.

But it seems to me that a leap of faith is needed. The tide can yet be turned.

Wish me luck.

No comments: