26 March 2005

Is building a 'Europe of the Spirit' such a bad thing?

I'm a bit slow on this one, but bear with me. Do you remember, a good year-and-a-half back, I shredded a ludicrous article by one Adrian Hilton, a Tory parliamentary candidate who is utterly convinced that the European Union is a Catholic conspiracy? I know, that'd be news to Rocco Buttiglione, but there you have it.

Anyway, it seems that Adrian, who is head of politics and philosophy at Slough Grammar School, has been forced to withdraw his candidacy for the coming election, with Michael Howard, his party leader, saying that Hilton's anti-Catholicism is 'completely unacceptable'. Howard decided to block Hilton from running over a week ago, but like I said, I'm a bit behind on this one. It does seem like the tide is already starting to turn against the Tories, though, especially with them having had to get rid of their deputy chairman since he'd said what they'd really do if they got elected.

No comments: